UWCB events are an incredible opportunity to change your life & improve your health & fitness. You have an 8 weeks opportunity to get super fit & super healthy. You want to look back on this experience and see the positive impact it has had on your life. On this page we have set out some basic principles to help you get the most out of the experience.
FOOD IS FUEL
As you start training, nutrition is something that you should think about. You are about to put your body through a challenging training programme which will get you in the best shape of your life.
Your body requires fuel to function at its best. You would never put poor quality fuel in a Porsche then take it to a race track and expect it to perform well, so don’t do the same to your body.
NUTRITION FOR PERFORMANCE
ProteinRepairs muscles and gives you energy.
CarbohydrateGives you energy and is required for a number of functions.
FatsEssential for your body to work properly.
Fruit & VegetablesFull of vitamins & minerals to ensure your body is working correctly.
HOW TO MAKE UP A MEAL
|Protein||Meat, fish, eggs||Fist sized|
|Carbohydrate||Rice, pasta, potato||Fist sized(but this is very dependent on the individual)|
|Fat||Natural oils, butter, nuts, seeds||Tablespoon|
|Fibre||Fruit & vegetables||Fruit - 3 per day
Vegetables - as much as you want
Portion size will depend on your weight, try different portion sizes, monitor your weight & energy levels and make adjustments.
A GOOD STARTING POINT
- - The best starting point when it comes to nutrition, however specific you decide to get, is to eat real food 80-90% of the time.
- - Real food contains all the vitamins, minerals, anti-oxidants, fibre and phytonutrients you need to be healthy and perform optimally.
- - For more advice on which foods to eat visit Body Type Nutrition’s Website.
- - Eat natural foods, if it didn’t grow or didn’t need to be killed don’t eat it and you won’t go far wrong. You don’t see cans of coke walking round fields or chocolate cake growing on trees.
- - Real food contains all the things you need to be healthy and perform optimally.
- - You know that cakes, chocolates, alcohol and crisps are bad for you, so cut back on them.
MAKING YOUR DIET INTERESTING
Make sure that you vary your diet day in day out or you will quickly get bored.
ProteinRotate different meats, fish & eggs in different meals.
CarbohydrateVary your intake in terms of portion size and see how you feel.
FatsEnsure you have natural fats and vary them from meal to meal, day to day.
FibreMix up vegetables and fruits.
If you vary all of these foods across your meals you should get a good nutrient intake and it will stay interesting.
- Getting a good amount of sleep, ideally from 10.30pm-6.30am.
- Drinking plenty of fresh clean water.
- Train hard, give sessions 100%.
- Have a positive mindset.
- Stretching regularly, and taking time to relax and recover.